Monday, April 23, 2012

Race Day Disaster

I've been overwhelmed with so many emotions over the last 10 days; fear of the heat, adrenaline and excitement, pain and nausea, disappointment, and SO MUCH GRATITUDE for all of your endless support and encouragement. Really, thank you, thank you, thank you!

While I am fortunate to have recovered from the knee injury (my tape came off at mile 4 and I ran a pain-free 22.2 miles without it), and for my luck-entry into Boston this year, and even for the good health to be able to run a marathon, I was of course hopeful for an excellent day as well. Marine Corps Marathon went so well and I loved how it felt like such a culmination of the work I'd put in-- and there is nothing that compares to the feeling that your effort has been effective, especially when there's been A LOT of effort!

I am having a hard time getting over the fact that Boston wasn't so magical.

With high expectations and having been spoiled by perfect conditions for Marine Corps, I hadn't mentally prepared for how I would handle a "race day disaster," as Runner's World calls it. I had trained for 6 months with a track club, spent oodles of dollars on doctors, and was so excited to run one of the best marathons in the world in your home city! But that was followed by the disaster that is 87 degrees, and it was a bit of a let down. I was so sick post-race that I couldn't eat or drink for 8 hours, I puked in front of my house (putting on a show for a few commuters who were walking from the train), and I cried-- I cried from utter exhaustion, severe nausea, and the disappointment that I was utterly exhausted and severely nauseated.


The pictures from the race are so confusing. I wanted to be happy, and was (I swear!) happy to be participating in the Boston Marathon. At one point I actually thought, "I'm kind of sad it's almost over!" -- But, I felt so sick after mile 17. Maybe if I'd finished and instantly felt better, I'd have a different opinion? But it only got worse from there.

Somehow I made it out of the crowds and found a spot in the shade where my mom, Jon, and Mike & Siobhan came to meet me. I swore I'd never run Boston again and was even beginning to swear off marathons.


I still can't decide how I feel about marathons. (I've deleted and retyped that sentence about 87 times because I really can't make a decision.) On one hand, I can't wait to sign up for another one. On the other hand, marathons are stupid.


Who signs up for marathons? People who love running.
Well, the week before a marathon, you basically can't run.
The week after a marathon, you really shouldn't run.
Also the week after a marathon, you are very likely to get sick. (Gee, I wonder why?) I am battling a cold now-- further pushing back the return to running.

While I fantasize about having a love affair with another marathon and having everything go beautifully, a big part of me also feels like I don't want to have to give up 2-3 weeks of running for a potential disaster. What is it they say? It's better to have loved and lost? YUH.

Let's be honest. I will eventually err on the side of crazy and sign up for more marathons. In the meantime, I plan to:
a. improve my speed in shorter distances. I've already signed up for the Marblehead Beach to Beach 5k on May 12, and will be signing up for the Portsmouth MSD 10K in June.
b. develop good habits in cross training and strength training.
c. remember not to do spring marathons due to the potential for training in 30 degrees and racing in 80 degrees.

But probably I can't wait to do Boston again and make up for this disaster :o)

Happy running. I mean it!

4 comments:

  1. You rock! I'm so incredibly impressed with you. And also surprised to learn that you felt so crappy, because you look positively radiant in that pic you posted on FB. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, LB, this is serious sober sophisticated thinking about this experience. You really did go somewhere that the vast majority of people never approach, so you're experiencing a world few people explore. It's the world of epic challenges that really, truly are not easy; that really, truly take a lot of human effort, discipline, training, and WORK to attain.

    You know that last year's champions didn't even finish this year. That's an objective indication of how far you came in your achievement.

    Re the difficulty of this one: you know that most marathons are pretty much level, and they're normally run when it's 25 degrees cooler. Yes, you pushed your well conditioned machinery to its limits.

    You're being wide awake about how this sucks, in a lot of ways. You're being self-aware about the need to rest, your body's need to rest.

    This is a great great achievement, probably in the outer half-percent of human physical accomplishments. (That's not 1 in a million, it's just 1 in 200, eh?) You are now a veteran of something really difficult. I'm so proud of you.

    Take care of yourself. Oh wait, you don't need to be told that.

    (And yeah, you've always had a knack for looking awesome when a camera pointed at you. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you finished in the MIDDLE of all those EXPERIENCED Boston runners, you dork!

    YEAH you'll be back. And next time I'll be SURE to be in town.

    ReplyDelete